Festival Postponement Announcement
Due to the concern regarding the outbreak of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19), it has been decided to postpone the festival.
We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and kindly ask for your understanding.
For further information, please consult the official website or the official social media page which are updated to reflect the current situation.
- Festival outline:
- In the year of the Tokyo 2020 Olympics and Paralympics when many people from countries and regions all over the world will gather in Japan, the three cities of Otsu, Shiga; Awara, Fukui; and Bunkyo, Tokyo will jointly hold the world’s first Ogura Hyakunin-isshu Festival to showcase 800 years of Japanese history and culture through the tradition of Ogura Hyakunin-isshu and Kyogi Karuta competitions.
- Opening ceremony (in Otsu City)
- Otsu tournament
- Awara tournament
- Bunkyo tournament
- Closing ceremony (in Bunkyo City)
- Hosted by:
- All Japan Karuta Association / Otsu City, Shiga Prefecture / Awara City, Fukui Prefecture / Bunkyo City, Tokyo
- Co-hosted by:
- The Tokyo Organising Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games
- Open to public / Free of charge
- *some spectator seats requiring prior application will be charged
- Request to all spectators:
Please adhere to the following requests during the competition :
Please refrain from taking pictures with your camera or mobile phone.
Turn off your mobile phone or put it into silent mode.
Refrain from moving and talking when the reciter starts to read the second half of the poem.
※Be careful not to make any noise. Footsteps, rustling clothes, whispering, vibrations of mobile phones, sound of plastic shopping bags, sound of turning pages, and so on.